New York Driver License & Written Test
For drivers 18 years of age or older, previously licensed in another state if you've recently moved to New York, started working in the state, and/or become a resident of New York, you are required to obtain a New York drivers license within 30 days.
You may exchange your out-of-state license or Canadian license for a NYS license, if your out-of-state license has your photograph on it and has not been suspended or revoked, shows the date it was issued, and it has been issued for at least 6 months, expired in the past 12 months or is a valid commercial drivers license that has been valid for any amount of time. For drivers who have a suspended or revoked out-of-state license, you must have the suspension or revocation removed before you can obtain a NYS drivers license.
If you are required to get a new NYS driver license, to speed up the studying process, use our drivers ed online study materials. Why read through hundreds of pages of material? Our study guides and drivers ed online practice tests are based on actual DMV test questions and answers, highlighting the differences in regulations in the state of New York. Additionally, our drivers ed study guides and practice tests are available on your mobile device, allowing you to study for your drivers test anytime – anywhere.
To obtain your New York drivers license you must:
- Complete the application form MV-44 and apply at a local NYS DMV office
- Pass a vision test or bring a valid form MV-619 Eye Test Report from an eye care professional
- Provide at least two points of identification and proof of date of birth, in addition to your out-of-state drivers license and your Social Security card
- Show your Social Security card or provide a letter from the Social Security Administration stating you are not eligible for a Social Security card
- Bring your valid out-of-state drivers license to surrender to the NYS DMV.
- Pay the $10 application fee and the driver license fee, which varies depending on your age and the license class you will be obtaining.
You will receive your new New York drivers license, when you turn in your out-of-state license. You are NOT required to take a Road Skills test, if you had a valid drivers license in another state.